Clitoria ternatea or Butterfly Pea Flowers are a super plant you’ve likely never heard of — unless of course you originate from a Southeast Asian countries where they are more than familiar with this wonderful flowering vine. The creeping vine produces a deep blue coloured flower with light yellow markings, which are edible when tender. The flowers were imagined to have the shape of female genitals, hence the Latin name “clitoria”.
Native to tropical Asia these beautiful flowers can also grow in tropical parts of Australia, in fact the Butterfly Pea Flower Powder used in our Clay Facial Masque is grown organically in Australia and dried with solar powder. As an added bonus it’s also delivered to us plastic free. We couldn’t ask for more eco-friendly than that!
GREAT FOR YOUR SKIN
The Butterfly Pea plant has a rich history of use in traditional Asian medicine, and is believed to be a true gift of nature boasting multiple medicinal beneficial effects. The seeds are said to have a laxative effect, the flowers used as an aphrodisiac, and the dried herb being used as antidepressant. However, it should be noted that the consumption of the seeds or roots and also lead to nausea, diarrhea and diuresis.
Being rich in antioxidants, Butterfly Pea Flowers have also gained a reputation for benefiting the skin. At Eorth we use Butterfly Pea Powder in our Clay Facial Masque, the flowers powerful antioxidants can help to keep the skin looking firm, youthful and bright. It’s also known for its ability to increase the elasticity in skin cells, improving moisture retention, brightening skin and bringing dull skin to life.
But did you know that adding Butterfly Pea Flowers to your diet can also help to maintain a youthful glow, healing you from the inside-out?
When used as tea, Butterfly Pea Flowers are believed to aid memory retention and reduce anxiety. Some studies also suggest that the flower extract may aid in weight loss, slowing the formation of fat cells. As well, the antioxidant properties that the flower is widely used for in natural skin care, may also help to protect cell damage and complication related to diabetes.
You now know that Butterfly Pea Flowers are great for your skin and have wonderful medicinal benefits but did you know they're also wildly used for cooking, adding colouring to rice, tea, fruit juice or cocktails?
As you may have guessed, due to its deep blue coloured flower, foods that contain Butterfly Pea Flowers also emit a wonderful blue colour. Not only are they great for your skin and great for your health — you’ll be able to spoil the kids to delicious, nutritious colourful treats and they won’t even realise their being tricked into eating or drinking something healthy – win – win.
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 1/2 tsp Butterfly Pea Powder
- 1/2 tsp Raw Natural Local Honey
- 1 Squeeze Lime Juice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Optional
- Boil Water and add Butterfly Pea Powder and Honey
- Add a squeeze of lime juice
- Add Vanilla is using
Chia Butterfly Pea Flower Parfait
- 1/2 cup Milk (of your preference)
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Blue Butterfly Pea Powder
- 1/2 tsp Raw Local Natural Honey (or natural substitute)
- 1/4 cup Toasted Muesli
- 1/2 cup Natural Greek Yoghurt (or natural substitute)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Fresh Mango
- Add the Milk, Chia Seeds, Butterfly Pea Powder and Honey into Glass Jar
- Place the mixture into the fridge and let set for 20-30 minutes
- Add the Vanilla to Natural Yoghurt in a small bowl, stir to combine and set aside
- Cut the fresh mango into small slices (for inside the glass) and cubes for on top of parfait and set aside.
- Once Milk and Chia has set remove from fridge and top with Muesli
- Layer with Fresh Mango slices, yoghurt and top with fresh mango cubes
Sparkling Butterfly Pea Mocktail
- 4 cups Cold Water
- 1/4 cup Sparkling Water
- 1 tbsp Butterfly Pea Flower Powder
- 1 tsp Raw Natural Local Honey
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Fresh Lime Juice
- Ice Cubes
- Prepare a jug of Fresh Cold Butterfly Pea Tea by mixing the flower powder, cold water and local honey together.
- Add some ice cubes to a martini or margarita glass with a slice of lime on the side
- Pour in the Fresh Cold Butterfly Pea Tea and top with sparkling water
- Add a squeeze of lime.
Butterfly Pea Latte
- 1 cup Hot Milk (of your preference)
- 1 tsp Natural Raw Local Honey
- 1/2 tsp Butterfly Pea Flower Powder
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Place milk into a saucepan and bring heat, whisking as it warms — do not overheat.
- Add honey, powder and extract
- Pour into your favourite glass, stir and enjoy!
ZERO WASTE RECIPES
Author Bio - Catherine Anne Earle
Thanks for reading. I'm Cathy the founder of EORTH Australia, an online store that stocks only plastic free products.
I started EORTH after participating in a Plastic Free July many years ago. A few days into the Plastic Free July challenge I soon became aware of just how damaging plastics were to the environment, and although I was conscious of my consumer choices, products packaged in single use plastic and household products from of plastic materials were still very high on my list of purchases.
After lengthy searches for alternatives to plastic products I soon realised that there were a lot of eco stores that sold some plastic free products, but very few really got down to the heart of the plastics issues and said a big hard "no" to selling products that contained plastics — and that is exactly what EORTH is all about.
I have a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Management and was the owner and founder of Sun Peaks Independent News, a community newspaper based in British Columbia, Canada.
After moving back to Australia several years ago I now reside in Palm Cove a beachside suburb in my hometown of Cairns — the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.